Friday, August 10, 2007

Abob

Windsor, ON - I'll give you a second to figure out that "abob" means.









Got it?












No?











Dude, pick it up a notch. Lemme put it this way: the new bubble tea shop on Wyandotte is called Elppa, which is "apple" spelled backwards, the nice lady behind the counter told me. Okay, and that's significant because...it's not. Just cute! Let's move on.


BOBA BRIEFING
Name
: Elppa Desserts & Bubble Tea
Address: 2065 Wyandotte St. West, Windsor, ON N9B 1J8
Phone: Owner's cell phone, which is in my purse somewhere...
Email: elppaboba@hotmail.com
Date visited: July 2007

Goes by: Bubble tea, boba
Price: Let you know when I go back. I think it was around $3.
Form: Tea, milk tea, fruit smoothies. They also serve drinks with jelly (more like little strips of Jell-O, but it's called jelly) instead of tapioca. You can also get your drink with both - if you think you're ready for this jelly. Oh yes, I went there.
Flavors: Many
Hot/cold: Cold
Flavors tried: Black milk tea, passion fruit with jelly
Lid style: Check me on this
Smiles: Here's the story: I joined two co-workers to lunch in Canada (half of my motivation to do so may or may not have been because I knew I'd be in close proximity to boba), thinking I'd drop by Waku-Waku Teahouse on Wyandotte on our way back, and bring back boba for my editor so he wouldn't think I'd been making up this weird-sounding tapioca drink. When that ended up being closed - on a Friday afternoon?! - I ducked into a Chinese BBQ place to inquire about other boba options. Lo and behold, Elppa was just two doors down!

The tapioca is definitely decent - chewy without being too soft. The ambiance of the place is way cute - round colorful pillows and chairs, curtains and colored lighting.

The passion fruit tea was very refreshing, and the jelly was nice and light. It's pretty hard to screw up jelly, though.

Scowls: Should black milk tea look...purple? Okay, I thought, don't judge a boba by its color, blah blah blah. But it tasted a little too much like milk, and not enough like tea. They're also really slow. It took maybe 15 minutes to make four drinks.


Most memorable bo-ment: Forcing, I mean suggesting to my editor that he try boba for the first time. He's a nice guy, so he humored me (probably while secretly thinking, When can we fire this nutjob?).

Overall rating: 7/10

1 comment:

Rosina said...

I stumbled across your blog while I was looking up the address to elppa. It was one of my favourite places for bubble tea! It closed down mysteriously a couple of months ago.