Friday, February 15, 2008

iLeft my boba in San Francisco

San Francisco - I didn't, actually. Leave my boba in San Francisco, that is. And if you thought that I would EVER leave my boba anywhere unattended (especially in a city like SF, which is full of boba drinkers), you need to check yo-self!


Anyways. Despite growing up one hour south of this fine city - and going to college right across the Bay - I've never fully explored SF's boba offerings. (I blame the fog.) So, this is the beginning of what I hope will be a long and eventful journey uncovering the hidden boba treasures of the City by the Bay.



Inside iCafe

BOBA BRIEFING
Name
: iCafe
Address: 1716 Irving St., San Francisco, CA 94112
Phone: (415) 665-2893
Price: $2.50-$2.95
Form: Milk tea, tea, slush/smoothie, juice
Flavors tried: Boba milk tea, mango smoothie


Background: mango. Foreground: Milk tea

Lid style: Plastic wrap. Poking needed.
Smiles:

  • The tea is quite good. It has a stronger tea flavor than many other milk teas I’ve tried (which are more milky and sweet than tea-esque), which I personally enjoy.
  • The tapioca balls are solid. Not literally, but in quality. Chewy - check. Soft but not too soft - check.
  • The mango smoothie is really good! It’s not overwhelmingly mango-y, but really hits the spot if you’re looking for a pleasant, light, smooth mango drink.
  • Wireless internet. But this also falls under the “Scowls” category. See below.

Scowls:

  • It is crazy hard to find parking. Ah, the beauty of SF.
  • Some yappy woman at an adjacent table would not get off her cell phone. To prevent myself from sucking up tapioca with my straw and shooting them at her, I proceeded to eavesdrop on her conversation, which spanned from jewelry to grad school to - what else? - hemophiliacs. No mention of Alexei Romanov, though.
  • You have to spend at least $5.00 to get their wireless passcode. Being illiterate, I did not read this sign, and ended up having to buy two drinks instead of, say, a drink and a snack-sized sandwich (which they also serve, in addition to coffee and Asian snacks). Normally, this would not have been a problem, but I was supposed to meet friends for dinner an hour later, and two boba drinks is an awful lot of sugary liquid to consume right before a meal. Especially if you’re parked in a one-hour zone. This conundrum prompted the following AIM conversation with my sister:

Cat: I have a problem.


Liz: Yes?


Cat: I’m at a boba cafĂ© and I had to spend $5 to get the wireless here. And I’m by myself!


Liz: How is that a problem?


Cat: I have two drinks. That’s a lot of liquid. And balls.


Liz: No one said you have to drink both of them.


Cat: But it’ll taste bad later.


Liz: Well I know. JUST LEAVE IT ALONE. (what does this mean, anyways?)


Cat: Well, I’m gonna drink it. I’m just saying…I have a problem.


Liz: No shit.


My biggest problem turned out to be this sign: No Public Restrooms.


Overall rating: 8.5/10

2 comments:

leslie said...

so... at cal i took a cultural anthro class pretty early on in my academic career there. and... well... i wrote a paper for the class on boba. i just remembered about it and found it. my paper was titled "Boba and Culture: a look at the possible cultural significance of boba and its part in maintaining Asian identity"

..........i really dont know what else to say.

Annie said...

I went to iCafe per your suggestion, and I did enjoy my Coffee Milk Tea sans boba (yes, I don't like Boba *gasp*). Heidi liked the first few sips of her Almond Milk Tea, but decided it was too almond-y half way through, so didn't finish. Unfortunately, Lillian did not like her strawberry(?)smoothie, it was too artificial tasting. 1 out of 3 I guess, I liked the place.