Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Nanjing nai cha

Nanjing, Jiangsu Province, China - Boba lives outside Dr. Sun Yat-sen's mausoleum (Zhongshan ling).

It tasted like tepid soup, the tapioca was mush, and the cup had a picture of a man pulling a million-pound fish out of the water. The word "relaxing" is written above said picture. Is reeling in a fish the size of Texas really that relaxing, really? REALLY?

And what would the founding father of China say if he knew they were serving such an atrocity outside his resting place?

Also, at 5 RMB, it's considered pricey. For China. Really, though, the experience of visiting Dr. Sun's mausoleum far surpasses any criticism of mediocre boba I could ever think of. I might be losing my edge.

OH, and did I mention that the hostel where I stayed was attached to a boba place? Honestly, China, you're just making it too easy for me. More on hostel-boba later. No time right now to write about the many complicated drinks this place serves (including milk tea with boba, pudding and ice cream. In ONE DRINK. I know!)

Also stay tuned for DIY boba. We're talkin' milk tea in a teapot, a mug of tapioca, and a spoon. Mix it to your own liking. As my friend Nick (creator of the phrase "no-ba") would say, "Oh, boy!"


Outside Dr. Sun's mausoleum. That sign says "boba" in Chinese.


Relaxing indeed


DIY boba at Mao Kong


Shhh, not while I'm mixing

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!